As I write this, I am currently in my kitchen baking one of my favorite breakfast recipes: Paleo Banana Bread! You may be asking yourself, “what the heck is paleo?”
Paleo is a way of eating. While vegetarians are strictly non-animal based, and vegans are strict on no animal meat nor animal by-products, paleo is mostly animal meat- based. The term “paleo” refers to the Paleolithic time period, and the way these cavemen eat is how paleo dieters try to mimic: lots of meat (the gamier, the better), lots of vegetables, a little bit of fruit, and a small amount of nuts. ABSOLUTELY NO SUGAR or anything ARTIFICIAL. That’s about it!
It is not for everyone, and I recommend you see your physician before starting a completely new diet and/or lifestyle change, but I can tell you that it works for me. I’ve noticed I sleep better, I can train harder, I’m much faster, and I have WAY more energy.
Anywhoo, you can read more about the paleo diet by checking out paleo expert and biochemist Robb Wolf’s website here: http://robbwolf.com/faq/#overview
And now onto the good and not-so-boring part: BANANA BREAD!
This is taken from Robb Wolf’s website as well, and I have to say, is a favorite in my household and among friends – paleo or not. These are gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain-free as well, so those with intolerances can munch away! Enjoy!
2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, add the mashed bananas, eggs, honey, and vanilla and mix well.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Normally with breads or muffin recipes, you don’t want to overmix, but since there’s no gluten here, mix to your heart’s content. The muffins won’t get gummy or icky.
5. Fill greased muffin tins, baking cups, mini-loaf pans or big loaf pans about 3/4 full. Bake muffins for 23-25 minutes and loaves for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Let cool slightly and enjoy with a pat of almond butter, coconut oil or grass-fed butter. Mmmm.